Monday, January 5, 2009

Groan!



'Twas a hard day today. I got only three or so hours of sleep last night due to anxiety, restlessness, and I'm guessing too much caffeine. When I got to work, the old panicky feelings started up, and I spent most of the day feeling run down, tired, headache-y, and digestively challenged. It's funny (or not so funny) how much something like a job can affect your mental, physical, and emotional states. I felt pretty darn good for the previous five days that I was off on vacation, so I know it's not just my body being its usual difficult self.

Well, tomorrow I'm hoping to shake that anxiety hangover off. I've already planned a cute (and very "me") outfit that is nicely put together, yet fairly comfy. Some rather awesome flat gray suede boots may be revealed, and I'm excited to show them to my fellow shoe aficionados at work. They look very similar to the ones Blake Lively is wearing in the photo, but I plan to fold my cuffs over (I think) and wear a much longer (denim) skirt. I figured I'd try to have a little fun with my look, when everything else around me is somewhat grim.

What do you do to put a smile on your face and a little happiness in your heart, especially in the wake of challenges like a difficult work environment, or poor health, or family strife, or lots of stress in general? Do you wear a pretty pair of shoes, or some cool jewelry, or do you simply spike your blood with a little Starbucks and put on your best smile? I think it's interesting what people use to help them during their time of need, because it's a way to inspire others to use the same methods. I would have to say shoes tend to lift my spirits, but I'm not always up for a pair of heels or the demands of a skirt/dress.

What about you?

4 comments:

georgia b. said...

oooh i can't wait to see!

now i have to go in tomorrow!

i like to put on my favorite sparkly earrings for the pick-me-up you are talking about! you've seen them, so you know how good they work! :)

Char said...

there is nothing like a new outfit to spark my fire...but I also love a new theme song too. the boots sound fab

Anonymous said...

Those boots are going to look smokin Chris! I hope they give you the lift that you've been needing.

I love wearing anything new for the first time. I've definitely been known to save new things (with the tags still on, of course) until I am in a bad mood and need a pick-me-up. Isn't it funny how little things like that can make a difference?

please sir said...

I so feel your pain. My current job is the same way. Lots of headaches, not feeling well in the tummy, and overall blahness. I've never felt more sick in my life! Some things I do for pick-me-ups is a daily chai tea, looking blogs and my own, and thinking about the future!