Sunday, July 6, 2008

Humility


I found a piece of paper in our spare room today with this quote on it, shoved in the corner somewhere, crumpled and forgotten. I had copied the quote from a friend's decorating book, and I was really struck by how profound this mantra is. It's something I should try harder to take to heart every day, when I feel the urge to bitch or cry or blame.

Humility

Humility is perpetual quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or vexed, irritable or sore, to wonder at nothing that is done to me, to feel nothing done against me. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me, and when I am blamed or despised; it is to have a blessed home in myself where I can go in and shut the door and kneel to my Father in secret and be at peace, as in a deep sea of calmness, when all around and about is trouble.

Words I aspire to...

No comments: