Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Cherry in Abstract



Okay, this is just another example of how weird I truly am. My coworker Janice just gave me some cherries, and she happened to give me five. As anyone who knows me really well can tell you, I have a dash of OCD in my soul, and therefore I have to eat things like M&Ms, chips, peanuts, and grapes in multiples of two: 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. So when Janice gave me five cherries, well, that threw everything off for me. What is one to do in such a situation? I certainly didn't want to be greedy and ask her for another, and honestly, she would think I am nuts if I had told her why I wanted just one more.

So there I was, staring at that fifth cherry sitting on my desk, looking rather pretty with its swirls of red, orange, and yellow, and I had a sudden idea. What if I photograph that single cherry all day today, whenever and wherever I want, as a kind of study of a still life? So I started experimenting with focus, light, and composition, and I really began getting into it.

I'm going to try to get really creative with it once I get home from work because it's kinda hard to sneak in pictures at my desk. Plus I'd like to do some outdoor shots if possible. I'll post the results of my project tomorrow so you can see what I came up with. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the cherry will stay firm and ripe until I'm done with it, since it's so damn hot out today, although a time lapse record of its decomposition might be interesting.

No comments: