Saturday, September 20, 2008

Closet overhaul



Today I'm working on overhauling my closet. I plan on hanging and organizing all of my clothes first. Then I'm going to reorganize my shoe collection by color, instead of by type (heels, flats, boots, etc.). I think I might also get some sort of hanging wardrobe rack for Pete's clothes, so he can keep his suits and other dress clothes upstairs. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with his work clothes, though. Maybe they can be kept in the basement for now. A shoe rack would be nice, but I don't have one at the moment.

I'd also like to have some sort of system set up in my closet so that my shoes are easily identifiable, and also so that I'm able to select the pair I want without difficulty. I notice that I tend to choose clothes according to the cut or type (either pants or dress/skirts; either loose fitting or fitted; either lightweight or heavyweight, etc.). But I tend to choose shoes according to color, and not necessarily type. So I thought it'd be a good idea to take a photo of each pair of shoes and tape it to the end of each shoe box, so I can quickly find what I'm looking for. It's too bad I no longer have a Polaroid camera, and too bad that they're also being discontinued. I thought I could take a digital photo of each pair, and then just print the pictures out on my laser printer.

Any better ideas? I'll post pictures once I'm done with this project, but I'm not promising it'll be any time super soon.

(Photo courtesy of homedesignersoftware.com)

5 comments:

Teal Chic said...

Good luck to you! I've been overhauling the garage all day, and I'm thinking I still have a long way to go. Ahhhh the joys of decluttering!

Chris said...

Thanks, I may need it :)

I have a feeling it'll take me more than a few hours to get it done, even though it's not that big of a closet. I'm actually looking forward to going through my shoes and clothes, though. I have forgotten exactly what I have in there!

Julie @ Belle Maison said...

i'd love to organize my shoes in boxes with photos! i have a giant walk-in closet but it needs some serious attention...and i'm in no mood to get around to it anytime soon! good luck :)

Teal Chic said...

How is the overhauling going? I'm making a bigger mess than I started with ;)

Chris said...

The shoe photo idea is exciting. I hope it works! And I'm jealous of anyone with a huge walk-in closet! Although mine's not too bad :)

It's going all right. I had to stop because I ran out of hangers, but I got more and started up the work again. Last night my niece came over and helped me take pictures of each pair of shoes, but we just scratched the surface on that.

Today I hope to finish hanging and putting all my clothes away, and then I might go back to the shoe inventory process.

Sorry to hear yours is a big mess. So's mine! I'm going to take a before and after shot :)