Friday, November 14, 2008

Photo(s) of the Week: "Turkeys Gone Wild! Er, I Mean, Domestic."





My family has had numerous run-ins with the local wild turkey population in Bloomingdale in recent weeks, and Thursday was no different. They seem especially fond of my mom, and I often get amused calls from her about the latest turkey shenanigans while I'm at work. They've been at her front door, back door, and even roof. Apparently Otto has an affection for them, and gets crazy over the scent of their fallen feathers.

Last night, Pete and I stopped by my parents' house to pick up Ginger to take her to the vet (annual check up). As we were leaving in my car, we saw this little fellow strolling down the sidewalk by himself. Before I could say anything, Pete flung open my car door and offered the turkey a few pretzels, to which it gladly partook. It was like our own little petting zoo, and although I didn't think we should be feeding a supposedly wild turkey (which has been acting anything but wild, just like the other 8 turkeys in the area), I was able to snap a few shots of the action. I must admit, it was a rather amiable fellow, and it bobbed its head in delight.

After a few bites the turkey got bored and headed on his way down the sidewalk, running a bit and then slowing down to stroll again. It walked past the homes in the neighborhood, looking around and gobbling to itself, content.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! Wild turkeys? This is just too hilarious. The best we get in my neigbourhood is a few mangy squirrels...

georgia b. said...

Your poor mother. She is probably ready to move to the country to get away from such wild animal behavior!
:)

I'm glad you were able to get pics. I was almost starting to not believe you.
:)

georgia b. said...

ps.
you SHOULD capture some of those buggers for the upcoming holidays.

Alyssa said...

That is hilarious:) hehehehe

Glad it didn't go crazy on you!!!

please sir said...

Ah - similar thing happened to me in my apartment complex. It is such a fun site!